About

About Saint Patrick's National School

Information & History

----------------------------------------------------------

School Information

----------------------------------------------------------

Saint Patrick's National School is a coeducational Roman Catholic primary school situated in the heart of the historic parish of Monasterboice approximately 6 kms north of Drogheda on the east coast of Ireland.We are a mixed school catering for pupils from the surrounding hinterland.

Our current enrolment is 203 pupils.The school employs sevent classroom teachers,two learning support teachers,one special needs assistants and an administrative principal.The teaching staff are supported in their work by Mary McCabe, our school secretary, and Dave Jones, our caretaker.

In our school pupils experience a warm caring environment where moral values such as honesty ,justice ,fairplay, respect , sensitivity for others and civic responsibility are nurtured and protected.

The subjects taught in the school are :Mathematics,English ,Gaeilge,Music,Visual Arts,P.E., History ,Geography,Science ,Drama,S.P.H.E.,French and Religious Education.Pupils from second to sixth class attend swimming lessons in Drogheda Swimming Pool.

The school also participate in local football,athletic,art and quiz competitions.After school activities include football training and Pzazz club.(Singing dancing and drama)

The Board of Management of Saint Patrick's National School is supported by an active Parent's Council.

Bill Mulvihill PP is the chairperson of the Board of Management.

The principal of the school is Mr.Fiachra Bell.

The deputy principal is Ms.Anne Boland


SCHOOL OPENING TIMES 9.00a.m- 2.40p.m.


---------------------------------------------

School History

---------------------------------------------

On a visit to the parish in 1966, Cardinal Conway recommended that Father Bennett improve the facilities of the two schools in the parish, Ballymakenny and Fieldstown.Ballymakenny school was founded in 1847 and Fieldstown in 1881.A Board of Works survey of the schools recommended completely new buildings and the Department of Education recommended an amalgamation of both schools.

Father Bennett set about looking for a suitable site. Joe Finegan Ballymakenny offered the present three acre site and the site was bought for £300.Planning permission was obtained and contracts were signed between the parish and Kerr Brothers, Ardee.Building work commenced in January 1968.The original plan was for a 3 classroom school plus a kitchen but by the time it was built numbers had risen such that a fourth classroom was needed.This classroom was added to the east side of the building.(Hence the brick finish on the interior wall of the present junior infant classroom)

The school opened in January 1970 with 84 pupils and 4 teachers.All staff from both schools were appointed with Seán O'Connell as principal.Mrs May Carroll,Mrs Nora Byrne and Mrs Catherine McArdle were the other members of staff.The first new pupil to enrol was Henry Holdcroft from Kellystown.Mass was celebrated in the school yard with a large attendance from the local community.The school was officially opened by Mr.Padraig Faulkner ,Minister for Education and blessed by Cardinal Conway in June 1970.

In 1974 an extension was approved by the Department of Education due to increasing numbers. A further classroom and general purpose room were added by Jack Clarke & Son ,Ardee. It was officially opened in 1977 by local T.D. and Minister for Defence P.S.Donegan.

In 1988 numbers grew to 245 pupils with a staff of 7 teachers.This resulted in the G.P. room being partitioned into two classrooms. In September 1997 Mr. Joe Carroll was appointed as principal.Due to increasing numbers prefabricated buildings were introduced in 2007.

Following a long campaign the school were included in the prefab replacement scheme introduced by Minister for Education Ruairi Quinn.The school were allocated funding for three new classrooms and learning support rooms. With the support of the Board of Management a new general purpose PE hall was included in the plans. Building commenced in November 2012 and the fullycompleted building was handed over by builders JSM Kelly Dundalk in September 2013.

The new building was officially opened by Archbishop Eamon Martin in March 2014.


All rights reserved © Copyright 2019 | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Webmaster